Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Note...


>> Charles Pruett • I have found when I write using (many) adjectives and adverbs to describe, denote, or express, it tends to take away--or steal, as I like to say--the reader's imagination<<<


EXCELLENT!


Absolutely


When the reader is engaged in "deciphering" the text and is INVOLVED as opposed to being INSTRUCTED, that is seduction (or show)

There are loads of ways beyond the obvious "he was angry" rubbish. Metaphor, analogy, allusion, "word rhythms and colour" obliqueness, implication and so on

All these create reader-involvement and intimacy and require the reader's active participation in the full understanding of the text. (SHOW)


>> So, IMO, telling is choosing the "descriptive" words or telling the reader what to think or what conclusions to draw.<<<

In general I agree with this, although in my article "A Cool, Dark Guinness" I talk about when modifiers are appropriate

http://alexkeegan.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/a-cool-dark-guiness.html


>> Showing, on the other hand, gives imagery perhaps with some comparison (such as simile or metaphor), allowing the reader's own "definition" or perception of said imagery to come forth in the way his or her imagination would do so naturally. Makes sense? <<


Yes it makes sense. In the book I'm writing : "What the hell is Show not Tell?" I came up with about 100 headings each of which are to do with show.

There's a lot more to show than "Show me he's angry"

No comments: