Monday, June 18, 2012

The Benford Plagiarism Dossier 05


Benford merely put a new cover on the Thomas work
and a photo of her inside.


We have downloaded copies as proof






Begin forwarded message:

From: "vade"
Subject: Re: Plagiarism - Joanne Benford *
Date: 13 June 2012 09:57:17 GMT+01:00


And, of course, Holiday Memory is by Dylan Thomas, whose estate would be very interested in this as all his work is still under copyright.

Thanks for the reply and best wishes.

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "Alex Keegan"
Subject: Plagiarism - Joanne Benford *
Date: Wed, Jun 13, 2012 09:38


Thank-you


Yes, bit by bit, various people are spotting her plagiarism. I think that's 5 of six pieces at least.


Normally, if this was some idiot from an obscure country, I'd have it stopped and forget it
but someone in the UK who is BA, MA, PhD and holds two important posts, that feels very different.

I will keep you informed.





Alex



On 12 Jun 2012, at 23:38, Matthew B wrote:


Hi Alex,

Sorry to see that you've been the victim of a plagiarist. I caught a re-tweet about it and did some investigating and, as you have tweeted, it appears there seem to be at least three stories Joanne Benford has stolen. The ones I've found are yours, Powers of the Air by J D Beresford and Cafe Ultimate by, I think John Eden, who I've emailed to check as the story I found was unattributed, although I'm pretty sure he wrote it. Perhaps you've found others.

The poetry from Music of the Spheres is also plagiarised (at least Jupiter and Uranus) from The Rite of Jupiter by Aleister Crowley, no less.

I also question a lot of the art work that she has copyrighted. And, as for the academic stuff, the least said the better, which is probably why she is not teaching 'culture studies'.

How are you going to proceed? She seems to be a lecturer/tutor with the OU. I really don't think she should be. Students who plagiarise so blatantly are chucked off their courses. Lecturers/tutors should follow higher standards than students. In another profile, she boasts to be the manager of the Da Vinci Centre, a learning centre for adults in Hartlepool. If she still occupies that position, then her employers should be told.

Best wishes

(If I hear anything from John Eden, I'll let you know.)

No comments: